Take your first step towards a career in software development with Python—one of the most in-demand programming languages and the foundation of most programs, applications, and systems. This Specialization will teach you core programming concepts and equip you to write programs to solve complex problems. In addition, you will gain the foundational skills a software engineer needs to solve real-world problems, from designing algorithms to testing and debugging your programs.
uniYAT Practical Institute (UPI) is the only school that truly gives 85% practical hands-on training, preparing you to acquire top-notch skillset.
Other job titles used to refer to this kind of work include:
- Software Architect
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Site Reliability Engineer
- Web Developer
- Cloud Engineer
- Mobile Application Developer
- Game Developer
- System Engineer
- Desktop Application Developer
- Full Stack Developer
- Backend Developer
- Front end Developer
What You Will Earn
A competitive yearly starting salary ranging from GHS35,000 to GHS160,000
What You Will Learn
Upon completing your practical program, you will have developed the following knowledge and skills:
1. Edit, compile and run both Java and Python programs; 2. Use conditionals and loops in both Java and Python programs; 3. Use Java API documentation in writing programs. 4. Debug both Java and Python programs using the scientific method; 5. Write methods in both Java and Python to solve a specific problem; 6. Develop a set of test cases as part of developing a program; 7. Create a class with multiple methods that work together to solve a problem; and 8. Use divide-and-conquer design techniques for a program that uses multiple methods.
1. Read and write data from/to files; 2. Solve problems involving data files; 3. Perform quantitative analyses of data (e.g., finding maximums, minimums, averages); 4. Store and manipulate data in an array or ArrayList; 5. Combine multiple classes to solve larger problems; 6. Use iterables and collections (including maps) in both Java and Python.
1. Use sorting appropriately in solving problems; 2. Develop classes that implement the Comparable interface; 3. Use timing data to analyze empirical performance; 4. Break problems into multiple classes, each with its own methods; 5. Determine if a class from both Java and Python API can be used in solving a particular problem; 6. Implement programming solutions using multiple approaches and recognize tradeoffs; 7. Use object-oriented concepts including interfaces and abstract classes when developing programs; 8. Appropriately hide implementation decisions so they are not visible in public methods; and 9. Recognize the limitations of algorithms and programs in solving problems. 10. Recognize standard classes and idioms including exception-handling, static methods, java.net, and java.io packages.
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as a student, will be able to do upon completion of your programme, regardless of your level. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem-solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate, and use information effectively.
- Use computers or related technology for practical and/or professional applications.
- Apply scientific inquiry and mathematical reasoning to practical problems.
For current programs, internships provide a path to translate classroom-based instruction to real-world scenarios, get a sense of the industry and make connections for future employment endeavours. We enforce and make it very compulsory for every student to take at least a month of field experience in their chosen field of career.
Competency in Software Engineering course has a full duration of two (2) years.
The two-year duration has a division of levels with each level having a duration of 4 months.
In total the course has 5 levels.
The fee quoted below represents the fee per level or semester.
|Sessions||Weekdays, 8 credit hours (Monday to Thursday)
|Weekends, 8 credit hours (Saturdays and Sundays)
|Morning Session 1||8.30 am to 11 am||9 am to 1 pm|
|Morning Session 2||11 am to 1 pm||——|
|Afternoon Session||1 pm to 3 pm||2 pm to 6 pm|
|Evening Session||5:30 pm to 7:30 pm||——|
Registration form: GHS 100 (onetime payment)
Admission fee GHS 290 (onetime payment)
Tuition fee: GHS 1995 (paid per level or semester)
- Affordability assured
- Instalment payment accepted
- Custom plan considered
- Yes! Hostel facility available
- Hostel fees are paid separately
- Obey all hostel rules and regulations
All course material will be provided in the lessons and net links. There are no required materials to purchase before taking the class. In order to fully benefit from this course, though, you do need access to a personal laptop.
General Admission Requirement
- Must be talented
- Focused and willing to make a change
- Must have a passion for computers
- Willing to work in an office setting for long hours
- No computer knowledge is required (We will train you)
This course will not require you to have previous experience in any particular area
Minimal books will be required.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 1½ years
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 67
- Assessments Yes