A Computer and Phone Repair Technician installs, evaluates, detects, troubleshoots and fixes different types of issues affecting both phone and computer systems or servers or networks. Students will diagnose faulty hardware or software on PCs, laptops, phones, and diagnose them. After they identify the problems, they resolve/fix/repair them.
Technicians, however, work more often with hardware peripherals than with software. They are proficient with widely used operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, Android, IOS, HarmonyOS, or macOS. They are the primary customer contact support and service.
Technicians have first-rate analytical and problem-solving skills.
Technicians must have excellent communication skills, as they would need to explain technology to non-technical people, and thus, the UPI training equips students ready for such tasks.
.uniYAT Practical Institute (UPI) is the only school that truly gives 85% practical hands-on training, preparing you to acquire top-notch skillset.
Other job titles used to refer to this kind of work include:
- Hardware technician;
- IT/systems support engineer;
- Industrial technical support;
- Hardware assembling technician;
- Computer and phone repairs expert;
- Computer technician
What You Will Earn
- A competitive yearly starting salary ranging from GHS28,000 to GHS55,000 per annum
What You Will Learn
After completing the Computer Hardware and Phone Repair program, students will be able to:
- Set up hardware
- Install software
- Maintain and repair technological equipment
- Manage software in computers and networks
- Maintain and repair desktop computers and equipment
- Understand privacy and data protection
- Maintain and repair laptop computers and equipment
- Perform regular upgrades
- Perform troubleshoot activities
- Install well-functioning LAN/WAN and other networks
- Maintain and repair mobile phones and tablets
- Manage network components (servers, IPs, etc.)
- Manage and implement security solutions
- Create records of repairs and fixes
- Provide technical support
Core Curriculum Competencies
The Core Curriculum Competencies listed below identify what you, as a student, will be able to do upon completion of your programme, regardless of your level. You will acquire these core competencies through your general education courses (i.e. English, math, etc.) and your program of study courses.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem-solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate, and use information effectively.
- Use computers or related technology for practical and professional applications.
- Apply scientific inquiry and mathematical reasoning to practical problems.
For current programs, internships provide a path to translate classroom-based instruction to real-world scenarios, get a sense of the industry and make connections for future employment endeavours. We enforce and make it compulsory for every student to take at least a month of field experience in their chosen field of career.
Competency in Computer Hardware and Phone Technician course has a total duration of one (1) year.
The one-year duration has a division of levels with each level having a duration of 4 months.
In total the course has 3 levels.
The fee quoted below represents the fee per level or semester.
|Sessions||Weekdays, 8 credit hours (Monday to Thursday)
|Weekends, 8 credit hours (Saturdays and Sundays)
|Morning Session 1||8.30 am to 11 am||9 am to 1 pm|
|Morning Session 2||11 am to 1 pm||——|
|Afternoon Session||1 pm to 3 pm||2 pm to 6 pm|
|Evening Session||5:30 pm to 7:30 pm||——|
Registration form: GHS 100 (onetime payment)
Admission fee GHS 290 (onetime payment)
Tuition fee: GHS 1995 (paid per level or semester)
Registration form: Free
Admission fee USD 50 (onetime payment)
Tuition fee: USD 300 (paid per level or semester)
- Yes! Hostel facility available
- Hostel fees are paid separately
- Obey all hostel rules and regulations
All course material will be provided in the lessons and netlinks. There are no required materials to purchase before taking the class. To fully benefit from this course, though, you do need access to a personal laptop.
General Admission Requirement
- Must be talented
- Focused and willing to make a change
- Must have a passion for computers
- Willing to work in an office setting for long hours
- No computer knowledge is required (We will train you)
This course will not require you to have previous experience in any particular area.
Minimal books will be required with lots more practical oriented training.
Minimum Admission Requirement for Diploma Programs
WASSCE applicants must have passes (A1-D7) in two core subjects including English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science/Social Studies in addition to passes (A1-D7) in any two elective subjects.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 1 year
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 101
- Assessments Yes